21 June 2008

LBA—SMC Pentax DA 35mm F2.8 Macro

LBA is "Lens Buying Activity" "Lens Buying Addiction", and well, should one obtain a new lens, one must surely make an effort to use it.
Since it's a macro lens, it's either bugs or flowers, and it's not bugs; 35mm is kinda short for bugs, and handheld bugs is something for people with much steadier hands than I've got in any case.
I have no idea what any of these are, other than the dandelion, and I've subjected your patience to mostly full scale jpegs, the better to appreciate the detail.

Very shortly after rain, in the gardens at the foot of the walls of the Cathedral Church of St. James, downtown at King and Church Streets.
From the triangular garden in the tip of the southern end of the split in Don Mills Road; I don't know if this is a community garden or maintained by the Lutheran church that gets the first full width section of the stuff in the middle of Don Mills.
In the grass around the triangular garden above.
Maple tree by the side of the road; I feel minimally bad about the blown bits of sky because, hey, light cloud or no light cloud, that's the sun.
Not full size; these guys are in a garden by the start of the property of a large apartment building, and they're really very close to this colour.

More of the same flowers, only I hope with a better general depth of field.

Growing in one of the gardens scattered around the paths of the townhome complex I live in.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

The second one is a bearded iris. The improbably-colored flowers in the fifth and sixth photos are familiar, but nothing I can put a name to; I want to call the last one a hydrangea, but I don't know of a variety with patterns like that on the petals and I think the petal shape is wrong, too.

Graydon said...

Iris would certainly go with the kind of stem/leaves the second one had. (Which I admit I neglected to put in the picture in any useful way. :)

The excessively purple guys came in pink and white colours, too, and there are even pictures of those but they didn't seem anything like as dramatic.

If it's any help, the last picture is of a ball of flowers about 12 cm across; it's on a plant that's more than waist high, but that might be because it's growing in a bucket on top of a raised bed, I didn't try hard to unravel what was going in in there. (Many leaves. Much obscurity.)

Thanks!

Anonymous said...

#5 & 6 are petunias.

Anonymous said...

Actually, LBA is "Lens Buying Addiction" which many caught once the got a Pentax SLR.

Graydon said...

Whups, Anonymous #2 is correct.

Although in my case I bought most of the lenses I presently possess before buying the camera; I had decided to wait for the K20D instead of getting a K10D back when the general consensus was that the K20D would be out in October of 2007.

Glad I waited, but it was a long six months.

jennie said...

Strangely, when I think of uses for a macro lens, I think of stitches and very good, close photos of seam finishes, in addition to flowers. Also, cake decorations and details on pottery.

But mostly stitching.

jennie said...

Strangely, when I think of uses for a macro lens, I think of stitches and very good, close photos of seam finishes, in addition to flowers. Also, cake decorations and details on pottery.

But mostly stitching.